Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Beginning woodturning budget.

Woodturning on a budget can be frustrating but with some planning and bargain hunting you can get what you need to get the job done. We will be looking at all aspects of setting up a shop and the tools we want to put in the shop.
                Lets start with our budget. I am going to build my own shop but if you have a garage or a basement to work in you are already on your way to getting started. I am going to get my shop started for under $8000. I already have an assortment of tools so I do not have to buy everything but we will get to tools later own. First I had to decide what type of turning I am going to do in my shop. Now this is a loaded question but there is a simple answer(I want to turn everything). I want to turn pens, 3 foot tale vases and round table tops. So now that we have that straight let's move on and plan our budget.
                I have decided on a lathe that will cost me about $1500. A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is that your lathe will only be half of what you will need to get started. So I will figure in another $1500 for accessories for the lathe. That leaves me with $5000 that sounds great but now let's go through a quick list of other tools I will need. Chainsaw because I do not want to buy blanks $350 for a gas powered one and $100 for an electric one that want wake neighbors. Table saw so I can do segmented woodturning and no shop would be complete without a table saw $500. Band saw is on my wish list, for now I will be looking for a good used one of these that can cut at least a 16 inch blank. Then we come to all the little stuff, screws, sand paper, finishes, wax, hot glue gun, straps,  ect......... $500. $3550 left to build a shop, I wish it was that easy. I am going to give myself $3000 to build my shop. I am sure that $550 extra in my budget will find a home somewhere else before I get done.
                Keep in mind that this is my budget and yours can be extremely different than mine. I am trying to get tools that may not be the best but should get the job done and should be big enough that I will not want to replace them the next day. HAPPY TURNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment