Monday, June 20, 2011

New methods for fast drying green bowls for turning.

                I started an experiment today. While getting ready to start my own shop one thing I keep reading in forums is how to dry green bowl blanks. These methods by some turners can get very strange indeed. The one account of a turner sacrificing a chicken to the turning gods and doing a dance was real weird. Ok so that one is just a joke. We do have everything from the bag and wait a year method to soaking in a soap solution overnight. You have 50 ways to just bag a green bowl and another 50 ways to guess when the piece is ready for turning. Then we can also make a kiln of sorts or just stick them on a shelf. The one that interests me the most is the Denatured Alcohol method and the soap method. I will be dealing with the DNA(Denatured Alcohol) one for now.
                DNA has properties which remove and shed water from wood. The issue with DNA soaking is that first off is the price per gallon of about $15 to $25 a gallon. The price is not a huge problem if it was not for the fact that we have to replace every so often. So in my experiments I will be trying different chemicals to achieve the same results for under 5 dollars a gallon. That is my goal anyway. I set up 6 large mason jars one with DNA in it and the other five with different combination of chemicals that I feel will do the same job. I have placed pieces of wood from the same tree in the jars. I will allow them to soak for 24 hours and then remove and then document over a week what each piece of wood does. Please feel free to leave comments and HAPPY TURNING.

No comments:

Post a Comment